"You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you.
You have to go to them sometimes."
Winnie the Pooh

Thursday, March 8, 2012

A Journey


Picture of Roads - Free Pictures - FreeFoto.com
For two and a half hours I drove along.
My goal was basically to not think about,
 or feel, any feelings about what was at
the end of my journey.

As I rounded the last corner of my trip
every single emotion that I held
at bay flooded over me. 

I looked in my rear view mirror
 at my sister, Sherrie,
who had been following me on this trip.

Was she experiencing the same thing?
Was she flooded with emotions
and memories so strong that it 
felt like they could take over?

We pulled up to a big, old house that 
had once been bursting at the seams
with a family of six, 
friends,
 dogs, 
(Our Beloved Jessie)
hamsters,
guinie pigs, 
and even a snake.


Now that same house is empty.
Not of stuff.
No, there is lots of that,
but so, so empty of life.
Our childhood home.


We were there to take anything 
that meant something to us.
Treasures.


As we entered the house,
both of our throats burning with 
unshed tears.
 We looked at each other.
and the floodgates opened.


Can I even tell you enough how
thankful I am for her?
For my sister?
To face something that hurts so much
with someone who feels it too, 
is such a blessing.
Our precious Mom passed away
a year and a half ago 
and our dad, who has dementia, is in a
 memory care center near Sherrie.


The house is empty.
It may be full again someday,
but not with our family. 


It was painful and healing
all at the same time.


I will write about some 
of the treasures that we found.
Things that someone else would
 pass by, but so priceless to us.


Thanks for listening to my story.
Love,
Joyce

7 comments:

A Ruffled Nest said...

I am sooo thankful that you are my sister!!!! I love this post even if it made me cry at 7:50 in the morning.
Love you,
Sherrie

Becky said...

I only made it as far as the pets before I was crying. So thankful for warm and happy memories. Very proud of you both for facing the unspeakable dread. This process is such a ...... process! Love you so much. Hang in there!

Julie said...

Oh the memories in that house Joyce. Thinking of you and Sherrie. Love you girls!

It's me said...

O my this is so hard for you two...i am thinhking of you darling......i feel the pain...and how dificult it is to do.....love and blessings from me....xxx...

pollydove said...

Oh this was so sweet Joyce! Life's trials can certainly be hard sometimes and it is so wonderful to have family (in particular sisters) to help us through! Hugs to you!

Vintage Home said...

I am so thankful you have your sister to share this journey with....
looking forward to hearing how your new classes go & seeing your sweet memories from your childhood home!

Gloria said...

Dear Joyce,

What a sweet post. Sisters are a blessing from God. I am glad you have each other to go through this journey together. Hugs & prayers are sent out to you both today.

xoxo...Gloria

Popular Posts

I Love Aprons

I Love Aprons

playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones