"You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you.
You have to go to them sometimes."
Winnie the Pooh

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Summer Reading & "The Little Things..."

Summer Time Reading
I just read four good books.
 The Sky Is Everywhere
By: Jandy Nelson
The Sky is Everywhere - Jandy Nelson

Left Neglected
&
Still Alice
By: Lisa Genova



 Last year I also read
The Help 
By: Kathryn Stockett
I read this book last year and loved it.
I decided to buy the audio version of it
The Help
 and am listening to it in my car 
as I drive around,
and also as I sew.
The audio is so, so good.
The different voices add so much to the book.
I highly recommend the audio version.
Check your local library.
And, I just saw that it is being made into a movie.
I CANNOT wait!!!


P.S. I do want to let you know that all four of these
 books have some language in them.
 Just a forewarning.

Any Suggestions from fellow readers?
Share your favorites.
I have so many that I hardly
know where to start...


A"Little Thing"
that I love
 is really a big thing to me...
READING


Read
by Ann Turner

Do you remember
learning to read?
That book full of squiggles 
like ants, escaped.
the teacher's big thumb
on the page,
your heart beating inside
afraid that all you'd ever see
was ants---
Then a word popped out.
"See," and another, "cat,"
and my finger on teacher's
we read "I see cat."
I ran around the room
so happy I saw words
instead of ants.



I remember this moment.
My life changed dramatically 
when I learned to read.
Freedom to go anywhere...


Join Cassie at
Serenade For Solitude
for
"The Little Things..."

7 comments:

Leslie said...

I have picked up The Help at the bookstore atleast 5 times.. I am going to have to get it.
Thanks for the tips. Happy Reading

It's me said...

Hello darling......have a nice day...read a good book.....lovely weekend.....love Ria....xxx...

The Garden Bell said...

Loved, Loved The Help which I just finished in FL last month. Have not seen the others but will be adding to the list. Always, looking for a good night time read.

Sewn With Grace said...

Oh these look good!! I'll have to check them out. Hope you are having a good week at the green house! :)

Gloria said...

What a sweet post about the joys of reading. And what a blessed joy it is! :) I remember that first moment when I learned to read!

Thanks for the reading suggestions! I love the Mitford books by Jan Karon! Some unexpected books I loved were: "Lost & Found" by Jacqueline Sheehan (given to me as a birthday gift), and a children's book, "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane" by Kate Dicamillo. I just reread it again to the grandkids. They LOVED IT!
I also loved "Baby" by Patricia MacLachlan, Marley and Me, by John Grogan (SOO much better than the movie in my opinion)....and..My Life in France, Julia Child; When the Emperor was Divine, Julie Otsuka; French Dirt (I can't remember the author..sorry)...LOVED that BOOK!; Frances Mayes books...on Tuscany & traveling; and, For one more Day, Mitch Albom. Just to name a FEW!!!

I hope you have a sweet Mother's Day!!!

xoxo...Gloria

pollydove said...

Oh fun! I am often looking for a good book to read. I am reading one now (totally out of the norm) called Born to Run, hoping for inspiration as I begin training for my half marathon. And my girlfriend just sent me 4 in a series about Weddings - now I can't remember the titles but I am loving the first one!!! (I think they are by Nora Roberts ... maybe?)

Lallee said...

It looks like you enjoy the same types of book that I do. I LOVED The Help. I did the audio version of it and the readers really made the characters come to life. I enjoy all the Jodi Piccoult books. Recently I discovered Kristi Hannah. I enjoyed the two I have read so far: Winter Garden and Magic Hour. I will definitely read more of her! Thank you for your suggestions--I have them written down.

Popular Posts

I Love Aprons

I Love Aprons

playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones