"You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you.
You have to go to them sometimes."
Winnie the Pooh

Sunday, October 31, 2010

The History of Aprons


A friend of mine sent this to me
and I thought that I would share it with you.

The History of Aprons

I don't think our kids
know what an apron is.

The principal use of Grandma's apron
was to protect the dress underneath
because she only had a few.
It was also because it was easier
to wash aprons than dresses
and aprons used less material.
But along with that,
it served as a potholder for
removing hot pans from the oven.
This is my Grandma and Grandpa, on my Mom's side.
Francis & Tom
My Grandma was only 16 years old
when she married 28 year old Tom.

It was wonderful for drying
children's tears,
and on occasion was even used
for cleaning out dirty ears.



From the chicken coop,
the apron was used for carrying eggs,
fussy chicks, and sometimes
half-hatched eggs to be finished
in the warming oven.


When company came,
those aprons were ideal
hiding places for shy kids...

And when the weather was cold
grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped
many a perspiring brow,
bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood
were brought into the kitchen
in that apron.

From the garden,
it carried all sorts of vegetables.
After the peas had been shelled,
it carried out the hulls.

Basket of Assorted Apples on Grass photo
In the fall,
the apron was used to bring in
apples that had fallen
from the trees.

When unexpected company
drove up the road,
it was surprising how much furniture
that old apron could dust
in a matter of seconds.


When dinner was ready,
Grandma walked out onto the porch,
waved her apron,
and the men folks knew it was time
to come in from the fields to dinner.


It will be a long time
before someone invents
something that will replace that
'old-time apron'
that served so many purposes.

REMEMBER:
Grandma used to set her
hot baked apple pies
on the window sill to cool,
Her granddaughters set theirs
on the window sill to thaw.

They would go crazy now
trying to figure out how many germs
were on that apron.

I don't think I ever caught anything from that apron
-but love...
I have many wonderful and sweet
memories of my Grandma
cooking in one of her aprons.

When I was around seven,
she made me a little
blue and white apron
of my very own!
I was thrilled and wore it often.

Sweet, Sweet Memories...

21 comments:

Sarah B said...

What a great post Joyce. My friend just today showed me a pattern she bought for making vintage aprons. I like the idea of making one for myslef :)
What lovely memories you have :)

Madame Samm said...

I am an apron girl...still where them for the same reasons your grandma did...lol...and ps..Madame Samm went to a Victorian Village to celebrate her anniversary which was Halloween. wink..

It's me said...

What a beautiful and nice lovely story !!.....about the apron.....sometoimes i only wear it when i am cooking dinner.......have a lovely week darling....i enjoy your post today !!......love love love you Ria....hugs for June !! from my girls.......

Zondra Art said...

Interesting and nice post!

Kisses.

MelMel said...

What a lovely blog post!
I love pinny's (aprons) I used to wear them everyday when I was childminding, and very useful for a lot of what you mentioned, as my pinny's didn't half see some hard work!xx

Sewn With Grace said...

Oh I just love this post! Everything about it makes my heart sing. Check out the Country Pleasures blog on my sidebar. Sue is having a Christmas Apron Swap that I just signed up for. Sew much fun! :)

myletterstoemily said...

what a brilliant and witty post! i especially
loved "i don't think i ever caught anything
from that apron but love."

it expresses everything about our grand-
mothers.

blessings on your day to remember the
saints who have gone before us.

love,
lea

Becky said...

Thanks for sharing, Joyce! Love love love the pics of grandma! Much love today! Happy November! xoxo

Bringing Pretty Back said...

Joyce , This post was GREAT! I love the pies on the window sill to cool and thaw! SO TRUE! I have been obsesses with aprons lately! My Grandma - my moms mom wore an apron every single day. And did everything with it you listed in this post! Brought back some sweet memories.
I need to get that book!
Thank you for being my first follower on my Cozy Pink Bungalow blog!!!!!!!!!!!
Would you believe I have almost everything I need to go to the new little house, and almost everything came from goodwill,etsy,ebay, st vinneys. hhaahaa!
I am so very excited.
Wait til you see some of the cute aprons I have picked up!
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

KATHY said...

What a lovely story!!I love aprons too! I can't remember ever seeing my grandmother without her apron on.

Kathy

A Ruffled Nest said...

I love it!!!!

Maria said...

I love this post, Joyce!
Everything you wrote brought back so many memories! I couldn't think of another thing aprons did!
It's all there!
I love wearing an apron... It's even difficult for me to decide which one gets to hang in the kitchen :o)

What a wonderful stroll down memory lane ~
It give me motivation to finish the aprons I started for my grown daughters!

Have a wonderful week, *Happy November!
*Maria

Gloria said...

Beautiful post! Loved reading this! :) I am sitting here typing... wearing an all black apron with white lettering that says, STARBUCKS COFFEE COMPANY est. 1971...:) It is my workhorse apron, I love it!!! I wear them to protect my clothes because I tend to me a messy cook! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you too for the prayers for my daughter, Beth, and her baby, Sophie. She is having a little bit of jaundice...another prayer would sure be welcomed for mom's (C-section) recovery and baby. Thanks so much, dear sweet Joyce. Saying a special prayer for you right now too...:)
xoxo Gloria @}~`}~~~

Erin said...

Thanks for your sweet comment on my table display!! :)

Vintage Home said...

...Wonderful sentiments & truths!...such a rich history...my sisterinlaw makes me aprons and I love them I shall send her this link to read!...So sweet of you to always be organizing things for inspiration!!

Becky said...

I loved this post.So inspiring made me think back to my greek grandmother long ago.She always wore an apron.

Stitchfork said...

Love this post and am going to have to look for that book called Apronisms! And I do use an apron.
Cathy

Amy @ Homestead Revival said...

I loved all the memories and photos, but especially where you wrote...

"They would go crazy now
trying to figure out how many germs
were on that apron.

I don't think I ever caught anything from that apron
-but love..."

Oh, how true that is!

Cora said...

You too have the most beautiful blog...loving it here! My daughter sometimes sews aprons and sells them. She had found this story about Grandma's, typed it up and attached it to each apron. So sweet. Thank you for finding me! I'll be back!

Cora said...

By all means you should attach this story to your aprons!! That would be wonderful...yes yes!!

Gmama Jane said...

Your post brought back so many wonderful memories of my Mom and her aprons! She had plain ones, workhorse ones and fancy holiday ones...but they all had lots of love. I wear aprons and my grnadchildren love them. I also have a kitchen towel thrown over my left shoulder...the other day I watched my 2 yr. old grandson play with his sister and he placed a towel over her shoulder!!
Gmama Jane

Popular Posts

I Love Aprons

I Love Aprons

playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones