"You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you.
You have to go to them sometimes."
Winnie the Pooh

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Friday Pretties...The Giving Bee

There's a story here...
When my Mom was at Rose Arbor,
my friend Debbie came to visit her.
She brought her this cookie jar.
But, instead of filling it with cookies,
she filled it with candy.

Debbie knew that my Mom's
appetite was pretty much gone,
and that she wasn't interested in candy.
But, Debbie brought her this
Happy, Whimsical, Candy-Filled
Bee Jar
so that when people came to visit-
My Mom would have
something to offer Them!

I'm not sure what is was that touched
my heart so deeply.

Maybe because it was such a thought-out gift.
A gift that wasn't just a gesture,
but straight from a very thoughtful heart?

Maybe because it gave my Mom a purpose,
however small, during a time in her life
when she felt like she had no purpose?

I don't know why I still feel
all warm and fuzzy when I look at that
Happy, Whimsical, Candy-Filled
Bee Jar
It now sits on my bookshelf in my kitchen
where I am reminded everyday of a friend
who so thoughtfully gave my Mom a purpose.

A reason to give, when she thought
that all of her giving was done.



One of the nurses asked me
who had given the jar to my Mom.
She said that she could tell
that it was from someone very special
because of the way my Mom talked about it.

It was!
Everyday,

they were offered a piece of candy...
:)
Thank You, Sweet, Kind, Thoughtful Debbie!
You're the Best!!!

Make sure that you take a little time to check out all of the
Friday Pretty Links
Happy, Happy Friday Pretties!!!

21 comments:

birdie blue said...

joyce, that is such a sweet story about your mom. it really says quite a bit about what a special lady she was, and i thank you for sharing it. your friend sounds like a sweetheart, too.

what a blessing that you can focus on the positive memories, and not dwell on the negative. that's easier to say than do.

i hope your weekend is as lovely as you.
xo
~molly

Pink Satin Sashes said...

Sorry I accidently posted my post to my blog instead of my page, although it is on that page.....sorry I am new at this. I went back to retry and it directed me back here.

Your room is yummy.

The Tablescaper said...

What a wonderful story. Thoughtful gifts really are the best.

- The Tablescaper

koralee said...

What a sweet sweet gesture...fills my heart! Such a loving thought...something I will remember..thank you for sharing. Happy Friday Pretties. xoxoxo

Vintage Home said...

...Delightful idea.....I am a big fan of guest books in "homes" too!...This jar is fabulous!....Thanks for Fridays Pretties...!

Zondra Art said...

Beautiful story!

Kisses and nice weekend.

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

I love that story and I love the bee jar and all the love inside!

Becky said...

Beautiful story!I will definately keep that in my memory.The bee jar is soo cute.Thanks so much for sharing.

It's me said...

Beautiful story darling..........keep that in memeory !! ...thanks for your lovely comment ....my mom is reasonable on this moment......she is very much in her own world ....every time a bit to say goodbye to her ...it is hard...but I can handle it ...kisses for you warm hugs........love you Ria,....

Lara Harris said...

What a touching story, brings tears to the eyes...it would be the same for my Mom xx LARA

Lisa said...

Wonderful memory for you.. what a thoughtful gift. "There is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving" Acts 20:35.. so what Debbie gave your mom was ~ Happiness. I will remember this story. Well a pretty Bluebird recommended your beautiful blog and truly this is gorgeous!!

pollydove said...

What a precious little story! And truly a thoughtful gift for your mom. That jar is adorable! I have a few matching plates - and a teapot in white! Love that line! Happy Friday Joyce!

Gloria said...

What a very sweet story, Joyce! And...a lovely reminder of your dear mom and sweet friend, Debbie. I have a very dear (best)friend named Debbie. The story made me think of her thoughtful ways too.

The candy/cookie jar looks so cute in your home! Have a happy "pretty" Friday dear friend.
xoxo Gloria
p.s. Thank you so much for your prayers. Beth, baby Sophie, (& me) are doing well...:)

Jean said...

It is so amazing the memories one keeps and how important the little things are.

Martina said...

So sweet this story, and really special. Such a thoughtful and loving gesture, i think you too will always cherish that jar - the sweetness of life!

myletterstoemily said...

what a precious gesture! it will help me
to think a little deeper next time.

thank you for sharing this lovely story
and for hosting friday pretties!

Dee said...

Your friend was sweet to think of your mom that way, knowing it would bring your mom joy to be able to give. ♥

koralee said...

Hi sweet friend...thank you for your sweet comments...I don't have a facebook for bluebirdnotes...I was thinking you could post a link to your facebook directly to my blog....sorry for the mix up..sometimes I am not very clear.

Thank you for entering my giveaway...hugs for a great great weekend my sweet friend xoxoxoxo

Karena said...

Joyce that is the sweetest story, so poignant and moving!!

Come and enter my new Giveaway....I know you will love it!!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

The French Bear said...

Love the story, such a true friend to give a gift infused with love from the heart....
Hugs,
Margaret B

Becky said...

I love that story so much. And I love YOU so much!

Popular Posts

I Love Aprons

I Love Aprons

playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones