"You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you.
You have to go to them sometimes."
Winnie the Pooh

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Mom's Quilt


I made this quilt for my Mom.
I had ordered the fabric a while ago,
you can read about that Here,
and was slowly working on it.

As soon as I knew that my Mom
was going to be moved to this
beautiful Hospice residence,
I started working very hard on it.



When I ordered the rose fabric
I had no idea that her home someday
would be Rose Arbor,
but God did.

I really, really wanted to surprise her with it
when she arrived in her room.

I felt so much joy when she opened the box.
Her joy and delight made me happier
than I could imagine!

It has not left her bed!
A friend of mine, who went to visit her,
suggested that she lay it so that
she can read the verses.
It has stayed that way.
:)

My mom's sister, my Aunt Joyce, whom I am proudly named after, died 20 years ago, and our unique and wonderful Grandma died about 30 years ago.

Both of these wonderful women were strong Christians
and we know where they are right now.
Oh Their Joy!!!

Aunt Joyce's daughter, Becky, a sister-like cousin,
wrote this message to me and I have to share it!
It brings tears of joy to my eyes every time that I read it-

"I am praying specifically for the people your mom will meet in her new home ... that there will be some Divine Appointments to encourage her, strengthen her, inspire her, and give her hope. I cannot help but imagine that there are literal angels walking those halls. I pray that peace will overwhelm her.

I have also wondered if her precious mother and sister might feel a sense of ..... anticipation. It is food for thought, isn't it?? Our minds cannot comprehend. But, oh, how Sweet are the Promises of Heaven!!"

We, as humans, look at things from our human, earthly eyes, but this is a moment to ponder, and to consider the eternal value of these last months, weeks or even days of my mom's life.

Thank you for your prayers!
Love you all,
Joyce

16 comments:

Zondra Art said...

I lake it very much!!!
Beautiful!

Farm Chick Paula said...

All I can say is, that is probably the most beautiful quilt I've ever seen... not just for the wonderful workmanship you put into it, but the story behind it.
And yes, sometimes I think there must be anticipation for all of those who are waiting for us to "come home".
Hugs to you today, Joyce.

Tina Eudora said...

Oh Joyce that is such a beautiful quilt and made so special because of the love you poured into it!
Your cousins letter is very touching and offers a glimmer of the joy our loved ones feel knowing we will be "Home" with them sometime soon! Angels are attending your mom right now, of that you can be sure.
Luckily you have these golden moments to store up in your heart!
Wishing you a bright and joy rich day!
Tina xo

Katharine said...

What a beautiful quilt! There is a sense of awe when we begin to realize that "Home" is somewhere else, and this one is just temporary... how wonderful the longing of those waiting for us, but especially of our Heavenly Father who's measureless love enfolds your mom as He prepares for her homecoming... Blessings on your Day.

Patricia Torres said...

Awww.. this is the most beautiful quilt I've ever seen... so much love reflecting in it!! And this is such a gorgeous post... brought tears to my eyes..

It's me said...

Woww that quilt looks so great !!! beautiful Joyce......happy evening......and hugs for you ....a lot of......and love.......Ria.....beautiful post.....tears....love love...

pollydove said...

I love that quilt Joyce with all of those beautiful scripture verses on it! I bet it is a comfort to your mom in more ways that one! What a sweet daughter you are!

That facility she is living in now is really quite nice. It looks just like one that is down the street from where my parents live in Pittsford, NY.

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Beautiful quilt, really pretty and love the versus on it!

My mom passed away 9 years ago and there isn't a day goes by that I don't think of her, I knew that when she died that her mother was waiting for her. Mom was 83 when she died, her mother had passed away at the age of 46 so my mom hadn't seen her for a very long time and I can just imagine the happiness they both felt!

Gloria said...

Oh, dear Joyce,,,how very sweet this beautiful quilt is! The letter from your cousin is very precious. I am sure God knew you needed these encouraging words right now. Just like your mom needed the encouraging words on her quilt you made her!
Praying for you,,,that God will wrap His loving arms around you & comfort you (and your family) at this time.
love,
Gloria
@}~`}~~~

Sewn With Grace said...

A very beautiful quilt and a beautiful post. Sweet blessings today to all of you!

The Tablescaper said...

My heart is with you. I lost my Dad about a year and ahalf ago and it still seems sureal. My Mom has significant Alzheimer's and it seems she's gone, eventhough she isn't. The decline of a parentis so difficult to deal with. They cared for us for so long, and now the tables are turned. Keep your heart in the right place.

- The Tablescaper

april said...

Your quilt is everything you made it to be, Joyce. Warm and comforting. Hugging her when you're not there. It's just beautiful. And that letter is a true treasure.

GardenofDaisies said...

The quilt you made for your mother is beautiful! I'm so sorry to hear that she is going through such a rough time. Hugs to you both.

Jean said...

Oh my! What a beautiful surprise for your mom. It must have meant so much to her. Lovely.

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

What a perfectly perfect gift for your mom... Comforting all around, isn't it? How precious.

My Mum was cared for by Hospice as well. What a wonderful organization.

Sending hugs and blessings to all...

Spencer

Krishana said...

Isn't it so heartwarming to know we have a God who attends to even the seemingly smallest details? Yet that is precisely what makes Him so awesome. That He cares enough to confirm His love in so many wonderful and varied ways each day. The fabric and verses on your mother's quilt are beautiful and must bring such a blessing to her as she enters this next phase of her life. God bless you and yours!

Popular Posts

I Love Aprons

I Love Aprons

playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones