"You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you.
You have to go to them sometimes."
Winnie the Pooh

Monday, June 14, 2010

The Story of Miss Marshmallow Smarty Pants.

Here is the story of
Miss Marshmallow Smarty-Pants
My Uncle Tom and Aunt Karen,
live at the end of a long, dirt lane
on the edge of 20 acres.

They are animal and nature loving people.
Some of the animals included o
the Love List are their

"Girls"

Yes, you guessed it, their chickens.

One "Old Gal", as my Uncle Tom refers to her,
is Miss Marshmallow Smarty-Pants.
She is from their very first batch of chicks.



This is their lovely grand-daughter,
who is, by the way, an expert tour guild.
Part of the tour she took me on though,
is another story for another day...
Anyway, back to the story...

Miss Marshmallow layed three eggs.
She was determined to see her job through
until those eggs hatched
and she would have a little brood of her own.
But, there was a problem-
Those eggs were never going to hatch.


Well, Missy didn't know that
and she sat and sat on those three eggs.

For three weeks she sat on those eggs,
waiting patiently for her little chicks to arrive.
Occasionally she would come out
and quickly eat a bite,
and then go directly back the coop and
Sit.
And sit...and sit...and sit...
She was getting thinner and
her feathers were starting to fall out but,
Miss Marshmallow Smarty-Pants
was a very dedicated Mother-To-Be.
She was ready and able
to sacrifice her own well-being
for the good of those babes.
Uncle Tom and Aunt Karen
were becoming concerned for Miss
and decided to make a plan-

They went and bought six chicks
(All different varieties)
and one night they quietly went into the coop.
chicks in hand,
and reached under Miss,
slowly pulled out the eggs,
while at the same time
replacing them with the six chicks.
(Just for the record, these are not those three week old eggs)Well, apparently Miss Marshmallow,
maybe not so Smarty-Pants,
was pleased as punch the next morning.
She and her six chicks
came out of the coop and into the yard,
with Miss M just bursting with joy and pride!


She clucked at those chicks
and they followed her all around the yard.
She would start clucking frantically,
as if something horrible was about to happen,
and all of those little chick would come running
from every direction and
tuck into her feathers and under her wings.

She would stand there for a moment,
surveying the danger, and as she did,
little chick's heads would pop out of her feathers.
and from underneath her wings.


She had finally found her calling.
Mothering was what she had been born for!
All of that waiting and doubt was well worth it.
She finally had her little brood!


Life was good again in the Coop.

:)


Here are a couple of her chicks, all grown up now...

And here she is trying desperately to avoid my camera.

She was named Marshmallow
because of the fact that she does look like a marshmallow,
and Smarty-Pants because
she always figured out a way of being
the one to eat first,
and the one to eat the most.


Here she is again, being camera shy.

This one is proof of why she is called Smarty- Pants.


She's fast!



And, here she is giving up all hope of any privacy.

Sorry
Miss Marshmallow Smarty-Pants,
you are just too cute for me to resist
in the camera department!


And that is the
Sweet and Maternal Story
of Her!

23 comments:

Sarah B said...

What a lovely story! She looks like a very happy hen :)

Wanda said...

What a wonderful wonderful story...

I see that story in a Children's book.

I came over from Marsha's blog.

It's me said...

What a sweet stroy.it looks like i am reading a childrens book !! so nice told by your !!!!!..i enjoy it !!

Have a happy sunny day............i am going to the shop now !! hugs from me.....

Silver Strands said...

Sweet story!
oxoxo
Denalee

Crafting in the beach hut said...

Don't think I've ever read a blog post where I cared so much about the ending! Phew - thank goodness your aunt and uncle are so kind and found a way for Miss Marshmallow to follow her maternal calling. Beautiful - I feel all warm inside now (and quite fancy a boiled egg.... is that wrong??) Lucy xox

Elizabeth said...

How cute is that! So glad it was a happy ending for Miss Marshmallow smarty pants :]
Elizabeth

Poppies and Sunshine said...

What a fun story to read! Now that is dedication :) Thanks for sharing!

GlowinGirl said...

Yay for Miss Marshallow Smarty Pants!

Now, I think I'll go fix me some eggs. ;)

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

What fun story, Joyce. Have a happy, happy day! xx

shari @ little blue deer said...

Hi Joyce! Oh, you know I love Miss Marshmallow Smarty Pants!!! I am so happy to hear her story, and it is adorable! I just told my husband that we really need to look into chickens, clearly, they are smarter than you think!

tori said...

this story was AWESOME! i could definately see it as a children's book (you should give it a try!) :)

techranger said...

Great story and wonderful photos.

koralee said...

I adore your story today...I love happy endings. xoxoxo

Marcie said...

I see a childrens book in you future! This is such a creative and fun post. I just love it!

:) Marcie

Amanda said...

aww what a cute story! and i so love her name! :)

koralee said...

Just little old me again...thank you for keeping me on for Friday Pretties...I so love playing every week. xoxoxoxoox

Brooke ~ SummerBrooke Gardens said...

I just love it! That really would make a fabulous children's book, something to think about.

Jo said...

What a sweet story ~ sounds like a children's book ... just a thought for your free time ;)

Jo

mimi said...

Love the story! I love,love chickens, miss marshmellow smartypants is a beauty!!

Frances said...

Joyce, that is just the most endearing story. My best friend has ALS and I help to care for her, now that she is wheelchair bound. Before she was diagnosed, she and her husband bought about two dozen chickens and those chickens just took over their hearts. I am going to share this story with her, as I know she will love it. It will be a touch of refreshment for her. Thanks so much for taking such sweet pictures of Miss Marshmallow Smarty Pants and for telling us this fascinating story.

Gloria said...

Cute story! Chuckled as I read it...:) Thanks for sharing!
Have a great evening...& God bless!
@}~`~}~~~ Gloria

Amy @ Homestead Revival said...

Oh, such a sweet story and happy ending! Your aunt and uncle are much "smarter" than me to have found such a practical solution. I just may have to give this a try next time the girls go broody!
Thanks for sharing!

farmhouse wares said...

Amy just sent me over to read this. It's the cutest solution ever. I just wrote about my broody Judy. We've been trying ice cubes, but this might be the way to go. Great story!

Popular Posts

I Love Aprons

I Love Aprons

playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones