"You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you.
You have to go to them sometimes."
Winnie the Pooh

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Little Girl Dreams...Such Treasures



When my Mom was about 14, her Aunt Cille, my Grandma's sister,
sent a traveling salesman to Grandma's house.

He was selling
"State House Sterling".
My Mom saw a silverware set that she absolutely fell in love with.
She begged and begged my Grandma to PLEASE let her buy it.
They did not have much money, and Gram told her that she just couldn't afford it, and that Grandpa would have a fit
if she bought something like that.

My Mom Promised her that she would do anything to pay her back.
That she would babysit as much as possible if she could have that silverware.
Of course Grandma wanted to know why my Mom wanted it.
She was trying to figure out what a 14 year of girl
would do with a set of silverware.

It was for her to put in her Hope Chest.
Oh those wonderful and innocent days...

Well, Grandma gave in, but told Mom that she needed to have is shipped to the neighbors so that Grandpa wouldn't find out.

Is this a global mommy trick?
"O.K., but don't tell Daddy"
A trick that spans all time and country?

Anyway, it arrived at
Mrs. Evelyn Kirby's house on Klinger Street,
just a few doors down from Grandma's.
It arrive approximately 60 years ago,
and it is still in the original shipping box.

There is hardly a mark on the wooden storage box.

It came with some instructions.

SILVERQUETTE
By: Emily Post

I
I am sure that my Mom dreamed of the day that she would have her own home with her own table to set for company.
And, knowing her as I do,
I know that she dreamed of
Hostessing perfectly!

She chose a simple and elegant design.
She could only get a set of four.
She thought that she would add to it,
but she never did...
She told me that it has traveled
with her through
many years, miles and different homes.
It has been a treasure to her for 60 years.
Representing those sweet little girl dreams
of what her life and home would be.
Apparently, when I was a teenager,
I asked her if I could have them someday.
I had forgotten that I had asked, but through all of these years
she had kept my request tucked away in her heart and memory.
The last time that my sister and I
took her to her house to get a few things,
she made sure that I found
this beautiful set of silverware so that I could have it.

I am thrilled and honored
that she has given this to me!

No matter where I live,
no matter what home,
no matter how many miles away,
no matter the years,
no matter what-
this silverware will be with me until that day
when it is time for me to pass it along.

Thank you for this Treasure Mom!!!
I love it!
And I love You!


Mom's Hearts

"God loves each one of us as
if there were only one of us."
-St. Augustine
(So do Moms)

"You can give without loving,
but you cannot love without giving."
-Amy Carmichael


"Making the decision to have
a child is momentous.
It is to decide forever to
have your heart go
walking around outside your body."
-Elizabeth Stone

13 comments:

It's me said...

What a beautiful story............and this frame is so beautiful! I love it

So nice of your mom she gives it to you !!


Cherish the memory..........i must go to bed now it's 2 o'clock in the night !!!! sleep well .....blessings and hugs from Ria

Sewn With Grace said...

What a wonderful post. There is so much love in your writing. What a treasure to have this silver. What a gift to pass on someday. Love you friend, happy Mother's day!

mimi said...

I love that story! The silver is beautiful gift to be cherished always.

Sonja said...

Hi Joyce:

I'm so glad you stopped by today! I love to see new faces, so I hopped over here and what a delightful blog!! So many of the quotes you show are faorites of mine as well.
The silver story is a delight! You're right... you will treasure this always. It was so fun to see the pictures as well as hear the way it happened.
I'll be back and hope to see you again!

Happy Mothers Day!

Sonja

Nancy said...

Such a sweet story and wonderful tribute to your Mother. What a beautiful choice in flatware she made. It's very easy to see why she fell in love with it. What a wonderful treasure to keep and pass along.

Thanks for sharing.

Happy Mothers Day,

Nancy

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Such a sweet post! Lovely treasures to. Happy Mother's Day Joyce!

Hugs,
Maryjane

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

What a wonderful story!

Leslie said...

BEAUTIFUL!! I love the story behind them.
My Mother in Law recently gave me her beautiful silver and like yo,u I was honored to have them.
Happy Mothers day.

May said...

I loved reading your story!!! The silverware you inherited is Gorgeous!!! Happy Mother's day to you!!!

Single and Sane said...

What a treasure!

Gloria said...

What a sweet story! How wonderful that you know the history of this precious, beautiful gift from you mom! :)
I hope you, and your mom, had a happy Mother's Day!

Dee said...

Your post made me smile. This is truly a gift to treasure and perhaps tp gift once again with this story added. Your mom has good taste. The siverware has a lovely pattern.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

That's an incredibly sweet story. I'm so impressed that she kept everything with the set -- it really must have meant the world to her to own this. And you must be one special daughter to have received such a treasure.

Popular Posts

I Love Aprons

I Love Aprons

playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones